By Melissa Birge, Co-Founder and CEO of Mia Tango
We’ve said it before and we’ll say it again: there’s no reason not to rock your favorite trends just because you’re pregnant or a new mom. Maternity and motherhood designers have outdone themselves this fall, and we’ve picked 7 of our favorite looks that are right on trend to see you through every occasion. Most of these styles are designed to be worn before, during and after, making them an extra smart buy.
2. Shades of Red – Teat & Cosset Giada. We’re seeing shades of red everywhere, from dresses and tops to accessories and lipsticks. Unlike summer’s orange-reds, fall turns to deep blue-reds, burgundies and rusts. This sweater dress in the most beautiful and wearable red from Teat & Cosset is not only bump friendly, but it’s also made for nursing, making it a dress you will wear long after pregnancy… and long after you’re done nursing.
3. Winter Florals – Ripe Cross Your Heart. Winter florals are big this season and are such a welcome change of pace from greys and blacks. Look for a piece that balances the feminine print with a serious silhouette, like a tailored dress or blouse. This dress easily goes from desk to dinner, making it a smart buy for the season. For especially cold days, pair it with tights and boots and a chunky cardigan or blazer.
4. Statement Shoulders and Sleeves – Allette Amelie sweater. Arms continue to be a focus, from bare shoulders to statement sleeves. We like this particularly fresh take from Allette in an uber wearable sweater that incorporates strategically placed ruffles around the shoulders and down the front. The sweater is made for nursing (the ruffles hide the access perfectly), but is bump friendly as well. Makes a chic topper for midi skirts, wide leg jeans, skinnies or joggers…basically whatever your heart desires.
5. Tweed/Plaid – Supermom Plaid Jogger. Have some fun with AW18’s tweeds and plaids by mixing up the serious print with a more casual silhouette. These under the belly joggers from Supermom strike the perfect chord. Wear them with sneakers and a hoodie for weekend vibes, or dress them up with flats and the Amelie sweater.
6. Unbasic Black – Ripe Ruched Velvet. Why wear a basic black dress when you can dazzle with a little something extra? “Unbasic” black dresses have an unexpected texture, sparkle or detail. This dress from Ripe demonstrates the trend in perfection – the sensuous velvet fabric and front ruching give this dress a seriously sexy vibe. Perfect for fall weddings and holiday parties.
7. Shirt Dressing – 9F Avi in Feathers. The shirt dress is a classic, but a fresh print makes it of the moment. A standout on its own, you can also wear the dress as a tunic over skinnies or leggings, or open as a cool topper over a basic tee. Wear this dress before, during and after pregnancy. Perfect for nursing moms and non-nursing moms. Basically, just perfect.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Melissa R. Birge is the co-founder and CEO of Mia Tango, an online maternity boutique that features a curated set of maternity clothing that customers can buy new or used, and then trade back in for credits to buy new styles. She also serves as the audit committee chair on the board of directors of Paris-based SRP Group, which operates the fashion website showroomprive.com.
Prior to starting Mia Tango, Melissa served as the Chief Financial Officer of KAYAK Software Corporation, where she worked from October 2009 to February 2016, overseeing the company’s IPO and sale to The Priceline Group. From 2006 to 2009, she held various positions, most recently as the Vice President of Finance, at Potbelly Sandwich Works, LLC, a restaurant chain. From 2002 to 2006, she held various positions, most recently as Controller, at Orbitz, Inc., and prior to that, from 1991 to 2002, she held various positions, most recently senior manager, in the audit practice of Arthur Andersen LLP. Melissa received a B.S in business administration from Miami University, Ohio.