I love all things summer, especially markets filled with fresh, ripe berries. One of my go-to desserts each summer is a Summer Berry Poke Cake. It’s easy and fun to make and tastes great. My favorite part is it doesn’t take long to make and the little ones can help out!
*1 box of White or Yellow Cake Mix (I like the Whole Foods 365 Brand); you can also make your own from scratch; for the Whole Foods cake I needed 3 Eggs, *1/4 cup Vegetable Oil (I used olive oil as it’s all we had on hand) and 3/4 cup Milk (I used whole milk)
*3oz box Strawberry Jello Mix
*1 cup boiling water
*1 cup cold water
*2 cups heavy whipping cream
*1 packet White Chocolate or Vanilla pudding mix
*3-4 TBSP powdered sugar
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare the cake mix per the instructions on the box and place in a 13″ x 9″ cake pan.
2. While the cake is cooking, rinse all berries and slice the strawberries
3. Bring 1 cup of water to a boil. Once boiling, add Jello to water, remove from heat, stir until dissolved and add 1 cup cold water
4. Ensure cake has cooled for at least 20 – 30 minutes and poke cake with a fork all over
5. Pour Jello mix over the entire poked cake
6. Place cake in the refrigerator for an hour to cool
7. While cake is cooling, make the whipped topping. If short on time, coolwhip works well too
8. Pour 2 cups of heavy whipping cream into stainless steel bowl. For best results, freeze the bowl while the cake is cooking
9. Using an electric mixer, begin whipping the cream until peaks begin to form
10. Slowly add the pudding mix and continue to whip
11. Slowly add the powdered sugar and whip to incorporate
12. Spread whipped cream over cooled cake
13. Arrange strawberries and blueberries in rows or whatever pattern you wish on top of the whipped topping*
14. Refrigerate until ready to enjoy!
*You can also arrange berries to make a Patriotic 4th of July cake if you wish!